Return to SEICCC FAQ's Home Page

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z


Earthquake Emergency Services - triple zero (000) Extreme Heat - Warning Messages
Electric Windows Emergency Warning Extreme Heat - Watch Message
Electricity Equipment Extreme Heat Plan - triggers
Ember Attack Escalation of call/return call  
Emergency Alert Warning System Evacuation  
Emergency Flood Plan Extreme Heat - Advice Messages  


Return To Top


In an emergency, people may receive an Emergency Alert message via their landline (to service location) or mobile (location based) advising them of the nature of the emergency, what action they should take and where they can go for more information. If the infrastructure is damaged then the message may not be received.

The alert will provide official and authorised emergency information on the current situation. When you pick up your landline phone you will hear the Standard Emergency Warning Signal (68kb, mp3) followed by the words 'Emergency, emergency'. The landline message will be spoken in English so if it is not understood, the person should ask a family member, friend or neighbour for assistance.

Question: How do I know if the Emergency Alert message/call is legitimate and not a hoax?

The caller ID number or message header on the phone displays the number '0444 444 444'.  There is currently no call back option.

Question: Why did I not receive an alert?

There are a number of reasons why you may not receive an alert. These include:


1. If you are on your landline talking to someone
2. The system tries to call three times, if not answered you will not receive the message
3. If there is a power outage and you are relying on a phone that is cordless
4. Your property/phone line is not in the area defined by the emergency service organisation

Mobile phones

1. Your inbox is full
2. Your billing address is not in the area selected to receive a message
3. No mobile coverage/black spot area
4. Mobile phone is turned off
5. Prepaid mobile phones need to have accurate billing address registered to them

Question: Can messages be sent to a teletypewriter (TTY) phone?

TTY services are not supported as the primary data source for the system - Integrated Public Number Database (IPND) - does not capture information about which telephone numbers are linked to a teletypewriter 

Question: Where do emergency services agencies get my number from?

States and Territories will use the Emergency Alert when appropriate and will determine which geographic area to warn, when to warn and at what time the warning is sent.  While each State and Territory controls the warning system, the Commonwealth controls the database that holds people's phone numbers and can geographically identify them.

Return To Top

Extreme Heat Plan

Heatwave Information Guide

Triggers - The trigger for providing advice to the public about the risk of an extreme heat event commences with the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) temperature predictions. 

Extreme Heat - Watch Messages

An Extreme Heat WATCH is issued to the public two to three days in advance of an extreme heat event. This gives people time to prepare and minimise unnecessary exposure to the heat. In this time they can and do things such as check air conditioning is working, adjust schedules, do the shopping, and make arrangements to check on vulnerable family, friends and neighbours.

Extreme Heat - Warning Messages

An Extreme Heat WARNING is issued to the public up to 24 hours in advance of an extreme heat event where practical. This is when people must take active measures to ensure their wellbeing during the heat event.

The SES will post the Extreme Heat WATCH and WARNING messages on the following websites:

Bureau of Meteorology
State Emergency Service

Return To Top



In South Australia the Fire and Emergency Act 2005 gives residents the opportunity to choose to stay with their homes during a bushfire. Each resident should decide for himself or herself whether they will stay and defend their property or leave early in the day, well ahead of knowing about any fire in the area.

Note however, that once a resident has left their home or if they are away from their home at the time of the fire, they can be legally prevented from returning to their residence by SA Police.

People living in high fire risk areas are encouraged to know what district they live in and know well before a fire what the Fire Danger Rating (FDR) is for their area. They should be using the FDR as a prompt to stay or leave early. 


Planning to Leave Early

Planning to stay and defend

Plan now to stay and defend or leave early

Prepare. Act. Survive.

Don't risk being caught on the open road in your car or worse, on foot. Radiant heat is the biggest killer and being in a car or out in the open gives you little or no protection from the radiant heat. 

Be aware fallen trees, power lines, abandoned cars or even firefighting vehicles may block roads.

Whatever your decision, it is essential that you prepare your home as well as possible to withstand a bushfire. If the fire is upon you before you can safely leave, you might be forced to shelter in your home or someone else's home close by.

Return To Top


Bushfire 'Watch and Act' and 'Emergency Warning' Messages

Three levels of messaging have also been developed which will deliver clearer information to help the caller make informed decisions about what actions they need to take to survive a bushfire. 

  • EMERGENCY WARNING (red)- You are in danger and you need to take action immediately. You will be impacted by fire. This message will usually be preceded by the Standard Emergency Warning Signal (SEWS) (click here to listen to the sound).
  • WATCH & ACT (yellow) - A fire is approaching you, conditions are changing; you need to take action now to protect your life and your family.
  • ADVICE (blue) - A fire has started - there is no immediate danger; general information to keep you up to date with developments.
Return To Top


The SA Country Fire Service (CFS) Community Education Unit provides information through community programs to residents living in high bushfire risk areas by a number of programs.

These programs provide residents with the opportunity to raise their awareness of their bushfire risk, bushfire behaviour, how to protect their house and property, personal safety and bushfire action planning.

Return To Top


(Note: DTEI is the Hazard Leader and SAPOL is the Control Agency for this natural hazard. However, where an incident involves fire or the release of a hazardous material or an imminent threat of such nature, the control agency will be the MFS or CFS for that part of the incident. Where an incident involves entrapment, the control agency will be the MFS, CFS or SES for that part of the incident.

During an Earthquake

After an Earthquake

Return To Top


Question: Essential equipment for a Bushfire.

Offer to send the caller a Bushfire Survival Plan and CFS Brochures or refer them to CFS website (  if they have access. Advise of name and address

Question: Where can I buy suitable sprinkler systems?

Caller should be advised that as CFS is a 'government agency' and that no particular company is recommended rather any reputable dealership within the yellow pages under Fire Protection Equipment and Consultants.

Refer to CFS Fact Sheet Sprinkler Systems.

Question: Where can I buy gutter bungs?

The caller may be referred to the Scouts Association on 08 8390 3600 or they can be made with a pure woollen sock with sand inside.

The caller may wish to visit their local hardware store that may carry a range of gutter bungs.

Question: Where can I find/purchase sandbags?

Refer them to their local Council who may be able to assist.

Return To Top


Question: I have Gas Supply / Cylinder's at my house?


When a house is threatened by a bushfire, irrespective of whether householders are leaving early or defending the house, it is prudent to turn off the gas supply to the house.

Natural gas supply should be turned off at the meter and LPG supply should be turned off at the valves on the cylinders. This removes supply from within the house and while it will not totally eliminate gas fires at the gas meter however, it will reduce the gas flow in a number of circumstances.

Fixed LPG cylinders should be left upright on a firm surface with the valve turned off and the pressure relief valve pointed away from the house. Do not place any foreign materials (e.g. wet blankets etc.) on or around LPG cylinders. More information can be obtained from the CFS Fact Sheet or from CFS offices or Council offices

Refer to CFS website LP Gas Safety.


If floodwater is or is about to enter your home, switch off your electricity at the switchboard and turn off the main gas valve at the meter. Also advisable to turn off the water at the meter also.


During an incident requests for assistance to complete an Emergency Flood Plan with the call operator should be declined. It is too late to complete an Emergency Flood Plan if a flood is threatening the local area.

If the caller requires a copy of the Emergency Flood Plan, these are available to download from the SES Community Safety website .

Or alternatively take the name and address and provide this through to the Community FloodSafe Project Officer at

Return To Top


The entry of windblown sparks (burning embers) through unprotected openings is the principal cause of building damage during bushfires. These sparks start small fires, often well before the main fire front or many hours after, which develop rapidly and may eventually engulf or envelope the whole building if left unattended.

Return To Top


Question: Should I ring 000 or the local emergency services?

To report a fire or any emergency, phone 000 in all circumstances where there is a risk to life and/or property. For information relating to incidents, callers should call the relevant emergency services or recovery information line. 

Return To Top



We are unable to escalate calls to other emergency services or triple zero (000). We are also unable to provide a return calls to callers. You will need to advise the caller the following:

I am sorry however this is an emergency information service only and we are unable to return calls. If your concern relates to a life threatening emergency then please call Triple Zero (000). The emergency services ask that you monitor your local radio station and the CFS/MFS/SAPOL/SES websites (provide caller the URL for the relevant site) which are updated regularly.  If you do not have access to these, please return a call to us at a later stage.



If caught in the floods put the windows down before entering because if they are electric windows you will have no way of getting out.