Return to SEICCC FAQ home page

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z


Fallen Powerlines Flood Definitions
Flood - staying safe Community Floodsafe Program
Flame Fire/incident information
Fire Bans Fire Prevention Officers
Firefront Fire Bans - breaches of
Factsheets Food contamination (go to C for contamination)



Fallen powerlines should be reported to SA Power Networks on 13 13 66 (formerly ETSA Utilities).

Return To Top


Definitions and Terminology of flooding i.e. Minor, Moderate and Major flooding / Observed, Peak and Predicted River Height.

Return To Top

Flood - what to do before, during and on your return

There are a few simple things you and your family can do to stay safe.

More detailed advice on floods can be found at the SES website (

Weather information can be found at the Bureau of Meteorology website (

Return To Top


The Community FloodSafe Program is in partnership between local councils, state and federal governments to provide information to residents living in flood prone areas. The programs include school visits, attendance at community events, as well as presentations to business and community groups.

Return To Top

FLAME (and smoke)

Question:       I have seen smoke in the area, is the fire service aware that there is a fire in my area?

Check the State Incident Summary for any fires in the area of the caller. If there is information in State Incident Summary that relates to the caller's locality please use this information ONLY to ascertain the status of the fire ("going" or "controlled" etc).  

If there is no information in the State Incident Summary that relates to the caller's locality and you are not aware of any response activity in the area advice the caller to hang up and call 000 (triple zero).

CFS Fact Sheet On the Day of a Bushfire  

Question:       I am sheltering in my house. The fire is all around me, what do I do?

When fire front arrives

After fire front has passed



Refer to CFS Fact Sheet On the Day of a Bushfire - actions to take.

Check the State Incident Summary and Bushfire Information Messages for any fires in the area of the caller. If there is information in State Incident Summary that relates to the caller's locality please use the information in the Bushfire Message issued for that fire.

If there is no information in the State Incident Summary that relates to the caller's locality advise them to continue to listen to the radio for news or incident updates.

Return To Top


Details of fire bans and fire danger ratings are available on the CFS website

The State of South Australia is divided into fifteen (15) Fire Ban Districts. These districts cover the entire State and are used by the Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) to forecast the Fire Danger Index (FDI) on a daily basis during the high fire danger period (ie the Fire Danger Season and either side of the season as necessary). 

Search the map for a callers Fire Ban District by entering their street, suburb or town. 

Return To Top


Reporting alleged fire lighting or possible breaches to the Total Fire Ban proclamation

The SA Fire & Emergency Services Act 2005 deliberately focuses on responsibility sitting with the fire lighter or the person who finds a fire occurring and the powers of officers to take certain actions or make directions to deal with the incident.  The officer attending has the discretion with regard to actions to be undertaken.

In regards to fire lighting or alleged Total Fire Ban breach:

  • If the situation is potentially life threatening or the caller actually saw the alleged offence, they need to ring 000 and report it.
  • If it is not an emergency the caller needs to call SA Police on 131444 or contact their local police station. Police stations are listed in the White Pages.

The caller will be asked to report on:

  •  Where it is happening - nearest cross roads etc.
  •  What is happening?
  •  Does the caller know the offender and if so what is their name/address/phone number.
  •  Description of any vehicles (car rego/make and model/colour etc.
  •  Any other relevant details.

In regards to a suspected breach of fire restrictions:

Tell the caller that they need to contact their local council and ask to speak to the District Fire Prevention Officer (FPO). It is the local council who issues fire permits. The caller should report the suspected breach and give the address.

The caller should discuss their concerns re their suspicions concerning the breach of fire restrictions. The FPO will check if a permit has been issued and deal with it appropriately.


If a caller wishes to speak to a District Fire Prevention Officer (FPO), let the caller know that they can be contacted through their local Council Office. Please provide the number if you have the time to access the number for the caller.

Return To Top


Provide the following information to the caller:

As fire front approaches (Inside and Outside)

When fire front arrives / has passed


A list of useful CFS factsheets including:

Planning to Survive a Bushfire, Understanding Bushfires and Warnings, Preparing Yourself, Preparing your Property, Pets, Horses and Livestock, Machinery, Storage, Permits and Restrictions, Preparing Your Business, Preparing with Others, Surviving While Travelling and on Holidays


Return To Top