Return to SEICCC FAQ's Home Page

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z


Powerlines Pets/Livestock
Planning Power
Personal Protection - Heatwave Personal Protection - Radiant Heat
Property Protection Public Transport


Fallen powerlines should be reported to SA Power Networks on 13 13 66 (formerly ETSA Utilities).

Return To Top


Question: How do I protect my livestock on a high fire danger day?

Question: I have animals at home and I want to rescue them, what should I do?

Question: Should I go home and move my horses / stock to a safe area?

Refer to CFS Fact Sheet Care of Pets and Livestock.

On high fire danger days, large animals such as horses and goats are best placed in a paddock that has been well grazed.

Horses should not be locked up in small areas or stables, but moved to an open paddock with little vegetation so they can move freely. Try to ensure that the animals have access to water e.g. a dam.

Horses are good at moving themselves to safe open areas and suffer minimal burns if left to do so. However, ensure that animals are not free to roam on roads as they may cause accidents or be injured.

All equipment including rugs, halters and fly veils should be removed from horses, as the plastic may melt and buckles may burn the animal.

One of the key factors in minimising risk to stock is to identify the safest areas on the property. On days of extreme fire risk stock should be moved to lower risk areas. You should also listen to weather forecasts and observe your own environment to help you decide when to put your plan into action.

Safe areas include paddocks with green summer crops, bare paddocks with no dry feed, or a ploughed paddock. Firebreaks are imperative.  They may be a bare laneway or a ploughed break.

Note: Remind caller that their life is a priority and the above actions should only occur when it is safe to do so. Remind callers that they should not expose themselves to radiant heat or excessive smoke.

Return To Top

Question: I have heard that there is a flood in my area, I have domestic pets - what should I do with them?

It is important to take your pet with you, however if you are going to a relief shelter not all of them allow pets, so it is important to have an alternative plan. If pets are likely to be at risk, every effort should be made to take them to a safer area in advance. This might be with relatives, friends, animal boarding facilities or temporary animal shelter or evacuation centre which accepts animals.

If you cannot take your pet with you or arrange evacuation to a safer place, leave your pet in a safe, secure room without windows, but with adequate air (like a big bathroom). Leave enough food and water for three days. Put water in containers that are not easily knocked over. Leave their favourite bed and toys. Don't confine dogs and cats in the same space. Put a notice on your front door saying where your pets are in the house and a mobile number for yourself or someone who can help or contact you.

Never leave your pet tied up outside your house.

For missing animals, check with pounds, shelters, animal control authorities and boarding facilities. Take a recent photo of your pets to help identify them.

Return To Top


Question: I'm building in a high bushfire risk area. What is the minimum buffer zone around the house?

Refer to the Fact Sheets on the CFS website under section 4. Preparing your Property including House siting and design, Landscaping to minimise the impact of bushfire and Fuel breaks.

Direct the caller to the CFS Building Fire Safety Unit - 08 8391 6077. 

Return To Top


Question: What do I do when the power goes off?

Refer to SA Power Networks (formerly ETSA Utilities) website for power interruptions.

On bushfire risk days, if you live in a risk area, your electricity supply may be interrupted due to a fault or as a result of a fire. In extreme conditions, SA Power Networks may turn off the power in your area to avoid a fire start.

For more information on electrical safety see SA Power Networks bushfire safety fact sheet. 


Question: What radio station should I listen to?

For emergency warnings and alerts, tune into one of the Emergency Broadcast Partners. Consider using a battery powered radio as mains power could be disconnected.

Return To Top


Question: How can I protect myself during a heatwave?

SES - Important heat related advice.

  • Stay hydrated - You should drink two the three litres of water a day even if you don't feel thirsty. Avoid "fizzy" alcoholic and caffeinated drinks and do not take salt tablets (unless instructed by a GP.
  • Dress for summer - Lightweight, light coloured clothing reflects heat and sunlight and helps your body maintain a normal temperature.
  • Check on those at risk - Visit at risk individuals such as the sick and elderly at least twice a day and keep an eye on children. Watch for signs of heat -related illness.
  • Minimise sun exposure - Keep out of the sun as much as possible. If you must be in the sun, wear a shirt, hat and sunglasses. Also make sure you wear sunscreen to prevent sunburn, which limits the body's ability to cope with heat.
  • Prepare your home - Prepare your home early. Service of replace your air conditioner BEFORE you need it.
  • Curtains, awnings and blinds can also help to keep the home cool.
  • Make use of air conditioning - If you don't have air conditioning, make use of public facilities such as shopping centres, art galleries, cinemas, or other air conditioned buildings. Portable fans are also useful in drawing cool air, or exhausting warm air from a room.
  • Remember your pets - Pets can be particularly vulnerable to the heat. Make sure they have shade and plenty of cool water to last the day.
  • Seek medical advice if necessary.
Return To Top

Question: How can I protect my property from storm/flood?

To help protect and minimise the impact of a storm and flood event:

  • Keep your roof, gutters and downpipes free from leaves and debris.
  • Ensure your roofing is maintained and roof tiles secure.
  • Secure loose times in your yard.
  • Store poisons above ground level in case of flash flooding.
  • Check that your home insurance is current and adequate

The Community FloodSafe Program can provide residents with a "Resident Flood and Storm Safe Information Kit". In this instance, please record the caller's details and forward this to

Return To Top

Question: How can I protect myself during a bushfire?

Refer to Your Guide to Preparing for and Surviving Bushfires Booklet

Return To Top


Radiant heat is the major cause of death during bushfires. If you put your hand near an open flame, an electric heater or light bulb you can feel the radiant heat it generates. Draw your hand away and the amount of heat you feel on your skin decreases. Put something between your skin and the heat source and again your skin feels immediately cooler. That's all you need to remember about radiant heat from bushfires -distance and shielding protect you from dangerous exposure.

The danger is real. Radiant heat from the flame front of a bushfire scorches vegetation well in front of its path and kills animals and people caught in the open. Death is caused by heat stress, when the body's cooling system fails, leading to heat exhaustion and death.

To manage radiant heat:

  • decrease fire intensity by reducing fine fuels around your home prior to the fire danger season.
  • move away from the heat source
  • establish a barrier between the heat source and yourself, for example:
    • a solid wall
    • another building
    • protective clothing
    • blankets
    • landscaped features such as embankments and terracing etc.
Return To Top


Question: Where can I get advice regarding fireproofing my property?

Question: Am I safe in my house?

The caller may be referred to the appropriate District Fire Prevention Officer (FPO), the Community Education Unit on 8463 4127 - however ask them to contact after the fire as resources will generally be tied up during an incident.

There are many things you can do to make your house and property fire safe.
Offer to send them the CFS Information Booklets or refer them to the fact sheets available to download on the CFS website.

Otherwise refer to the following:

CFS Factsheet Preparing your Property for Bushfire
CFS Factsheet Fuel breaks
CFS Factsheet Preparing yourself for bushfire

Return To Top


Question: Is public transport still running?

Road closures by SA Police during bushfires may prevent public transport from running. Contact your public transport provider for more specific information.

You must not provide alternative route information to the caller.

Return To Top